Airboat Swamp Tour & Destrehan Documented Plantation
- Duration: 6.5 hours
- Available Mon. – Sun. at 8 a.m.
- Antebellum mansion tours of Destrehan Documented Plantation
- 1 hour and 40 minutes swamp tour by airboat
- Reg. Price
- Online Price
- Riders (Age 6+) Must Be At Least 48” tall
Experience the Destrehan Plantation, the oldest documented plantation home in the lower Mississippi Valley.
- Established in 1787 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Destrehan Plantation remains the oldest documented plantation home in the lower Mississippi Valley.
- Travel from the French and Spanish Colonial periods, through the antebellum grandeur of the sugar barons, to the ravages of the Civil War and the rebirth of reconstruction.
- During the 45-minute walking tour, you will find yourself immersed in the rich history of Louisiana when French was the language, and the white gold of sugar drove the economy. Family stories of those free and enslaved set against the fabric of history will intrigue every visitor to the site.
- The plantation served as a home to Marie Celeste Robin de Logny and her husband Jean Noel Destrehan, the most successful sugar producer in St. Charles Parish and one of the driving forces in Louisiana Statehood.
- The plantation exhibits an original document signed by President Thomas Jefferson and Secretary of State James Madison appointing Jean Noel to the Orleans Territorial Council responsible for creating Louisiana’s civil law of government.
- Destrehan Plantation was the site where one of the three trials took place following the 1811 Slave Revolt, one of the largest slave revolts in U.S. History led by Charles Deslondes.
- During the Civil War, the Union Army seized the plantation and established the Rost Home Colony where newly freed slaves learned trades enabling them to transition into a life of freedom.
Then explore Louisiana back swamps.
- Have you ever wanted to enjoy an enchanting boat ride across a swamp? If your answer is yes, as it probably is, then the place to go is New Orleans via our guided swamp tours.
- We take you across all the heavenly Cajun Swamp where you take a high-speed air boat ride.
- The Cajun Captains will navigate their way through the back swamp.
- You will learn about Louisiana Wetlands, the inhabitants of the swamp, the life and habits of the American Alligators.
- Our experience Captains will take you back to the history of Louisiana Bayou and Swamp exploration days.
- Please dress for weather conditions.
- Bring bottle of water.
Riders must be at least 48 inches tall